Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Year, New Goals

Like everyone else in the Universe, a new year means new beginnings for me. I have trashed New Year's resolutions, however, in favor of what I am calling My 2010 Happiness Bucket List, or as I have fondly nicknamed it, HBL. Instead of having a list of vague and meaningless resolutions that I give up on about halfway through January, I have identified 28 things I want to accomplish over the next 12 months. Some are simple --- like try Ethiopian cuisine and take a photography class -- to more involved things like finishing my children's book and giving up shopping for a month. Also on the list: updating my blog weekly at the very least! That should be easy; I can update my HBL progress.

The idea for my HBL came from two sources. Heather Bowser, a reporter with the Daily News Record here in Harrisonburg is doing a bucket list in anticipation of her birthday. Reading about her ideas got me to thinking about putting together my own bucket list. Then I started reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. I decided to focus my bucket list on things that make me happy -- learning new skills, getting outside, spending time with Bate.

I've put my HBL into a year-long chart and printed it out. I'm pretty excited about this new approach. Hopefully next year at this time, I will see a whole lot of checkmarks on my HBL. I've already completed one -- Try Indian cuisine. It was good, but I don't think I'll be rushing back!

No comments: